Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Leaving Mullins Valley


The season was extremely productive, and it gave me a really good perspective of where my ice is coming from. But, to be honest, I was pretty excited to be heading out of the field. A month in the field is the perfect amount of time to be here – it’s just long enough to get a good feel for the environment, experience living in the camp, and get things done in terms of science, and it’s just short enough that you don’t start feeling bored or that the novelty of being in Antarctica has worn off.

Penkleton. Antarctic explorer.

So, Jen and I scheduled a flight out for the 30th of December to move most of our gear back to MacTown (nickname for McMurdo) and to begin the retro process (basically arranging for our samples to be shipped back to the states and to return all the gear that we borrowed from the science and field centers). Unfortunately, we were spoiled by 2 weeks of great weather – on the 30th, the weather turned bad in McMurdo (lots of low lying clouds and snow, which is bad for helicopter flying), so we weren’t able to get out when we hoped. Antarctica is known for very changeable weather, so it’s always important to give yourself some buffer time. Fortunately, we were able to get out late on the 31st – probably the last flight of 2010!

The helo landing. It's important whenever a helicopter is landing or taking off that you are in view of the pilot and low to the ground. Safety first!

It was really exciting – Jen and I got to sit in the front seat of the New Zealand base’s helicopter (Scott Base and McMurdo Station are very close). It was a gorgeous ride, and because of the bad weather, we were able to fly pretty low to the ground – it was awesome. Though, I got really air sick half way through the hour-long flight. I thought at one point I was going to throw-up, but luckily I made it.

Two happy passengers.
 
Flying low.


Being in the field was a great experience. I can’t believe how fortunate I am to have had this opportunity. I am even happier that I got through it safely. But I am happy to be coming home – I do miss my family and friends.

Since I’ve been back – there are a few things that seem different to me now

1. Chairs! It’s amazing how simple it is – but a good chair with a little bit of cushion goes a long way. In the field, we sat on rock boxes with crazy-creeks on top (basically camp cushions). It wasn’t uncomfortable at all, but sitting in a real chair, that makes a difference. You can stretch out your legs and lean back without the fear of falling over or the rock box top sliding off. It’s just so easy! Thank you, civilization.

Luxury seating.

2. Choosing clothes to wear. This was really strange. Picking out clothes everyday to wear – it’s strange to have options again. In the field, you’re pretty limited to what you choose: wind pants – check, thermal underwear – check, fleece top – check, little red – check, neck gaiter – check, hat – check, bunny boots – check, socks – check. And that’s it. But back in town, what shirt should I wear? should I wear my jeans again? Etc. Granted, I still don’t have that many options, but still – I actually have to think about what I pull on in the morning!

Yup - same clothes as every other picture.

3. Form fitting clothing and tiny feet! Along the lines of clothing, it’s also very, very weird to see and wear form-fitting clothing again. The wind pants we were issued were a bit big for me, and I was always bundled up in several layers. So, I pretty much looked like a blob all the time, as did most of us in the field. But now that I’m back in town, it’s strange to pull on clothes that hug my body and see people wearing clothing that actually fits them. It’s nice to feel fresh and put together again, though. You feel civilized again.

ECW (extreme cold weather) gear, not really a fashion statement. But practical.

4. People! For nearly four weeks, I saw the same three people. It was great because we all got along, and we spent a lot of time together, so we always talked or did something together. But back in town, it’s a bit strange. Everyone is friendly, so you smile or say hi, even if you don’t know them. But there’s still a level of separation – I don’t know most people’s names, I don’t hang out with them all the time like back in the field…..it’s strange. The distant friendliness I guess just comes built into civilized life.

The happy group. Talking science and thinking deeply.

5. Sitting at a computer and not caring about slow internet. This is probably one of the funniest things that has been different for me since coming back. Most people, myself included, tend to get a bit frustrated with slow internet (I still can’t believe some people use dial-up), but since coming back from the field, the fact that I even have access to internet is pretty incredible. So, I don’t mind waiting an extra ten seconds for a page to finish loading. It’s still amazing that it does! I mean, I’m in Antarctica – and there’s internet! That’s nice.

A peaceful moment sans internet.

6. Food – fresh fruit and vegetables. Fresh, unexpired food!!! Hooray! I still can’t get over how good fruits and vegetables taste. At almost every meal, I end up picking up a piece of fresh fruit – something I don’t usually do. But, to be honest, fruits and vegetables aren’t the only things I suddenly can’t stop eating. Bread and pastries here in McMurdo are delicious – made pretty much fresh every day. Oh man…..if I were in MacTown for more than a week – I’d be in serious trouble.

The typical spread in one of our dinner boxes.

7. Muscles! So after four weeks of hiking, moving rocks, and freezing my buns off….I’ve come back in probably some of the best shape I’ve been in for the past five years. I actually have muscles again….woot woot! And after all that hard work – I want to stay that way. So, I’ve been going to the gym here (gerbil gym, it’s called). It’s actually really great that they have these facilities here, especially for the people who have to stay here for a full 5 months or so for the summer season.

Jen taking a break from working out all those muscles.

8. Water – everywhere! Running water? Clean drinking water? What? Again, another thing to thank civilization for. It’s ridiculous how we take it for granted, but clean, running water is probably one of the greatest achievements of our society. Unfortunately, it’s something that a lot of countries in the world still struggle to provide for their people. I only got a small look at what life would be like without clean, running water (for drinking, bathing, cooking, etc). I really couldn’t imagine living like that permanently. That’s something that I really couldn’t understand, especially from my own, sheltered lifestyle, and I probably won’t ever fully comprehend. But I definitely empathize much more for those who live like this every day, often times not by their own choice.

Walking on a melt water lake near the head wall of Mullins Valley. There's lots of ice here, but we only use the snow for water.

9.  Not using duct tape to fix everything. In the field, the wonders of duct tape are endless. A hole in a glove, no worries! Duct Tape! Out of nails? Duct tape will work! Gear need to be packed up? Duct tape, please! It’s actually ridiculous how useful duct tape is. It’s sturdy, strong, and simple.

In the first week, I had already worn holes through my leather work gloves from moving rocks. By the end of the third week, I had worn through the duct tape I had put on my gloves. Good thing duct tape is plentiful!

10. Not having to rock everything down. The region of Antarctica that we were working in is known for a special type of wind, known as a katabatic wind, which is a wind driven under the force of gravity that brings high-density air from high to low elevation (they are especially intense along the edge of the Antarctic continent, where the high elevation of the ice sheet relative to sea level provides a steep slope). We had a couple katabatic events, one was so strong that it actually blew over one of our anemometers (a device that measures wind speed….how ironic, right?). Some of the highest recorded wind speeds in the area go up to 90 mph (that was the speed up to which one of the anemometers recorded until it also broke…..). Because of the unpredictability of the weather and the intense winds in the region, we always tied down and/or rocked down all of our gear, tents, and rock boxes (basically putting large heavy rocks on top of our stuff to keep it from blowing away).

Camp in lower Mullins Valley. Notice the millions of tie lines we rocked down....

Overall, my field experience has taught me a lot, not just about science, but about myself. I really think it’s a good experience to have – no matter where you go or what you’re doing, it’s good to get out and experience working or living in the field for a bit. Really, just going outside your comfort zone once in a while is a good thing probably – it gives you some perspective, you see what you yourself are comfortable with, and you have memories that will last a lifetime. 
ANTARCTICA!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog! Truly enjoyed your posting!

    ReplyDelete